Monday, July 15, 2013

Just Right Books

I've been looking through some of my books this summer trying to figure out which ones I want to take back with me to my 1st grade room. It got me thinking about how I structured my classroom for reading and I wanted to share.

First, I started off looking at data. Data should drive all instruction, so if you don't currently do that, seek out someone who can help. It will forever change the way you teach.

I use the data to determine where students were at the end of the previous year. It also helps me know where to begin testing for the Fall. I begin labeling book baskets with their name and reading level. Then I fill the baskets myself for the first time. I teach the students where to look for books on their level and the procedures for checking out books. It makes things easier since every book in my classroom library is leveled. I tell students to try to read books that are one level above, and one level below as well. It worked really well in my classroom this year and the students were motivated to read more and sort of competed with themselves to move through reading levels.

I made this reading leveled book list that students used to pick out books from the library. You can get it from my TPT store.


What works in your classroom?

No comments:

Post a Comment